FREE subject to eligibility - please get in touch for further details.
To book email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07796 421 373
"I am not one for mixing with people, but I have made some new friends and I wish the course would continue. It has helped me in so many ways and I don’t want it to end. I thank everyone who has helped me on this journey to my recovery!"
As a result of advice from government advisors, The Cart Shed Charity will be suspending its daily woodland activities until further notice.
We are offering a phone based service Mon-Fri 9am-5pm to our participants, which is complemented by text messages, emails, WhatsApp converstions and dedicated Facebook groups for particular courses. Our fantastic team of dedicated staff is rising to the challenge this pandemic presents and has created an entirely new service to support our participants, volunteers and each other.
We are facing an unprecedented crisis as a country because of Covid-19 and sadly for some there will be the trauma of saying goodbye to a close family member or a friend.
Many of us are living with fear or anxiety – do not stay alone with your worries or grief. We will do our best to be with you, so stay in touch or get in touch.
We hope to extend this offer to the wider community before too long.
Stay safe, stay well and stay connected.
To read about the Government's guidance regarding Covid-19 please visit: https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus
FAQ about our disntance learing whilst under lock down:
- how will you deliver the course - mainly FB & email plus phone
- what will you cover – A range of gardening skills and knowledge, to include some or all of - Vegetable Growing, Weeds,Growing in small spaces, Friends and Foes in the Garden, Plant Families, Companion Planting, Pests and Diseases. Plus topical Links to areas for further learning, for example - Plant diversity – link to International Day for Biological Diversity, Nice to Nettles week / National Vegetarian week
- will you supply any online learning materials, where will the participants find these? – Via Facebook, Google Drive links sent via email / other
- how can participants contact you – FB or email
- what happens if participants don’t have access to the internet – to be confirmed as this is an online course, but some learning materials could be available as ‘hard copy’.
- funding guidelines for each course – free to those eligible
- duration of this course. - 6 weeks
You will be given the opportunity to learn a range of horticultural skills, planting seeds, pricking out, bringing on plants to fruition as well as the opportunity to create plant supports and other garden items such as dibbers if your interests lean towards creating hand-crafted items.Pruning - Understand Why, When and How to prune a range of plant types including shrubs and trees.
Plant Propagation - Gain skills in propagation raising plants from seed and cuttings; fill your garden for less.
Weed control - Identify and control common weeds using a range of methods appropriate to the weed types.
Pest Control - Identify common pests and the damage that they can cause. Understand the available controls for these and how to use them safely.
Understanding soils - Test your soil. Understand different soil types and growing media and their effect on plant growth.
Health and Safety - Integral to all courses, learners will be made aware of and follow statutory Health & Safety requirements and risk assess when taking part in practical activities.
When we're not adhering to social distancing measures, tools, materials, hot drinks and scrumptious lunch - cooked on site over an open fire! - are provided. The location has several woodland shelters, a kitchen area, and a compost toilet. The course runs from 10am until 3 pm. Hot lunch costs £2.50 which is payable on the day - a nutritious vegetable stew made with veggies from the Organic walled garden and sausages. Transport from Leominster and Hereford can be arranged, please contact email@example.com for further information. Please bring stout boots/wellies and suitable warm/weather proof clothing.
The location at Devereux Wotton (HR4 8QN) has two polytunnels, several woodland shelters, a kitchen area, and a compost toilet.
The Cart Shed Charity is pleased to be able to offer the twelve Tuesday sessions free of charge to the Armed Forces Community* and to Herefordshire residents**.
- Serving and Reservist Forces Personnel and their spouse/partners and children.
- Ex-Service personnel/veterans and their spouse/partner and children
- Widows and widowers
- Cadet forces
**For those that do not qualify for the course free of charge, there are subsidised rates available to Herefordshire residents over the age of 19 on 31st August 2019.
The Cart Shed Charity is pleased to offer the programmes free of charge to:
Adults who are unemployed;
Adults who are care leavers;
Learners with a disability or learning difficulty including mental illness;